Desperately trying to catch up – being offline at home for 5 days has played havoc with my cpd23 progress. Hours at work have been taken up with appraisals and ensuring other project work is progressing so no time for social networking.
I have been meaning to join Twitter for a year after hearing Rebecca Davies, University Librarian at Aberystwyth give a talk about her use of Twitter at the WHELF/HEWIT Gregynog Colloquium in June 2010. Rebecca was so convincing about how useful Twitter was to her I was determined to give it try – well only as determined as waiting a year to do it! I managed the basics of signing up using the cpd23 notes so am grateful for the push to get me to do it. With a bit of trial and error I also worked out how to find people to follow then before I knew it a colleague had retweeted my first tweet and I was immediately overwhelmed with activity. This was a bit disconcerting at first and gave me the feeling of not being in control anymore. Finally managed to load up a photo of the right size after several attempts and to write a profile. I am slowing getting into Twitter mode but I am not in the habit of looking at it regularly enough yet and am still a little baffled with all the Twitter speak. However I am quite pleased I have been brave enough to post some tweets and I even got into a conversation with someone so I did feel I was getting somewhere then! I’m not sure yet about how to make the most of it in a professional sense and need to find some good accounts to follow for current awareness.
Flushed with success I signed up to Google Reader and managed to sign up for some feeds which seemed to work. I found the whole screen quite confusing and needed a colleague to kindly talk me through it. Having just returned to it today I’m having to refresh my memory about what to do so things are not automatic for me as yet. I have found having feeds in one place however a real bonus and can appreciate that I have been missing out on a lot.
Have decided to leave pushnote for now so that I can try to catch up.
No comments:
Post a Comment